Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Our Trip Back to the PICU

By Grace Guadagnoli

A few weeks ago, we took our Anthony back to the pediatric intensive care unit at Shands Children’s Hospital in Gainesville to visit the nurses he had when he had open-heart surgery to repair his congenital heart defect. When we arrived, we saw Beverly and she was very happy to see him. 

As my husband and I walked through the doors and down the halls, I had an overwhelming feeling: I was happy we were able to experience going back to the PICU, not as a patient, but to visit, a happy visit. 

But as I walked down those halls, I could not help but feel happy and sad at the same time, knowing there are precious children and families there who have the fight of their lives. As I walked through the PICU, I said a prayer for each and every family in every room. 

We are so blessed to have had the Shands’ PICU nurses take care of our little Anthony. We will forever be grateful for all they have done for us.

Grace and her family live near Lake City, Florida. Anthony, or "AJ," as he's also known, was born in September 2009 with tetralogy of  Fallot.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Grace, for letting us share your story. Anthony is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete